Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Screen English

After watching a movie with a Korean over the weekend, I thought about the way I explained American culture to her. I wondered if the same thing could be done in Screen English. So I showed the students three clips from "High School Musical 1". I then tried to explain the important aspects of the clips we saw.

The upside of this was that students got to see more of the movie. 75% of the students who visited this blog during the week of Chuseok expressed that they'd like to see more movies (This probably also including English Conversation students).

The downside was that students didn't have much opportunity to talk about the movie. If they could talk about it, it seems like it would be difficult in a class of 30 or 40 students to give students opportunity to talk directly to me.

I tried to give the students opportunity to talk to each other. But it seemed they had a hard time understanding what I was asking them to do.

If you were in that class (11am to 12:50pm, Tuesday, Secondary Special Education Screen English 2), I would like to know what you thought. Is this an approach that would be helpful to you learning English? How could it be modified (changed) to be more useful to you?

4 comments:

  1. Park Ji Seon
    I like watching a movie(kind of 할리우드)
    But, I don't like a Chinese movie(like 이소룡)
    할리우드 movie is impact to me. It's like 문화사대주의
    I like popsong, But I don't like a Chinese song
    In my opinion, I have to change my view
    Because, I want to be a teacher
    Teacher must understand various view, etc...
    Thefore,다양하게 I have to reading book, 음악듣기, 여행하기 를 해야한다고 생각합니다.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are watching a 'remember titan' movie.

    I would like to have a different video After watching this movie.
    and
    About one movie, I hope to do not have a deep analysis.

    When the analysis is too deep, I can not concentrate on about movie.

    I want to relax and watch a movie.
    I want to Analysis but so deep Analysis is hard and difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jiseon,

    I hear you saying you like Hollywood movies but that you're not a fun of Bruce Lee types of movies. Is this correct? I'm not completely sure what 문화사대주의 means. Is this a cultural toadyism (aka cultural flattery)? Your idea about reading a variety of books, listening to lots of different kinds of music and taking a lot of trips sounds like a good thing.

    But why are these things necessary to be a good teacher?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Siron,

    Thanks for your comment.

    I'm not sure I quite understand you. Are you saying you want to watch a different video every week or that you want to finish one movie before beginning another? Or are you saying something different?

    I hear your comment a lot and I don't understand this at all. There seems to be a consensus that people don't want to have difficult conversation. If this is the case, what is the purpose of having an English class? Furthermore, how would it be possible to have a relationship with another person about a movie?

    ReplyDelete